Hey all! Nebula nominations have opened and award eligibility posts have started showing up on my timelines.
I had a great year writing-wise. My favorite story that was published in 2017 is my Phantom of the Opera retelling, which takes place in a high school and features a female phantom, a young outcast who lives beneath the high school stage and develops a taste for trickery and music. This one is eligible in short story categories.
For Hugo consideration, I offer “Party Tricks” for the Graphic Story category. This one’s a strange case, but here’s the situation: I won Wattpadd/Syfy’s #BattletheBeast contest with my 1,500-word story set in the world of their Syfy’s The Magicians. They made the story into an illustrated digital short, which debuted on their website in five parts, narrated by the actor who plays Eliot, Hale Appleman. The stills were drawn by artist Miss Tak. Here’s a story in the Dallas Morning News about the contest, if you’re interested in more info.
- View Chapter One for free on the Syfy Channel site
- Chapter Two
- Chapter Three
- Chapter Four
- Chapter Five
If you’re interested in reading more of my work from 2017, check out the stories below!
- “The Black Thumb”–Road Kill Volume 2: Texas Horror by Texas Writers (October 2017)
- “The Reek of Rotting Roses”—The T.J. Eckleburg Review (September 2017)
- “Ghost Town”–Black Static (July 2017)
- “The Ocean Indoors”—Four Way Review (April 2017)
- “Needle Mouth”—Podcastle (April 2017)
- “Bitter Orchids”—Nat. Brut (April 2017)
- “The Maneaters”–Black Static (January 2017)